Registering for Classes FAQs

1.  When is academic advising and preregistration?    Each semester, students can select courses for the following semester. Academic advising and registration for the Fall 2017 semester courses will be April 3 - April 11, 2017.

Registration Schedule

Seniors (87 credits and above)     Monday, April 3 - Tuesday, April 4
Juniors (57 – 86 credits)              Thursday, April 6 - Friday, April 7
Sophomores (27 – 56 credits)      Monday, April 10 - Tuesday, April 11
Freshmen (26 credits and below)  Thursday, April 13

2. Who is my advisor?    Your advisor is listed at the lower right of your SPIRE student center. Contact lwest0 [at] vasci [dot] umass [dot] edu (Lisa West) if you need an advisor assigned.

3. What does an AnSci or Pre-Vet major need to do before registering for classes?  Each Pre-Vet and AnSci major is assigned an academic faculty advisor and must meet with their advisor prior to the start of registration. One week prior to advising week, all students receive an email reminder and instructions to sign up for a 20-30 minute advising appointment. Prior to the advising appointment, students should review their Academic Requirements Report in SPIRE (menu at center left of student center), which details progress toward university and graduation requirements.  Students should come to their advising appointment with their proposed course schedule and any academic or career planning questions. After meeting with the student, advisors remove the registration hold.

4.  Why should I register as soon as my enrollment appointment opens?    Prompt registration is the best way to ensure that you get the courses that you want. Every semester, some courses fill up early, especially classes that can’t be expanded, such as labs. On the other side of the coin, some less popular courses may be canceled if too few people register. A good strategy is to place your courses in your shopping cart before your enrollment appointment starts, so that you can register as soon as your appointment opens.

5.  What is the date and time that I can register?    Check your specific enrollment date and time by clicking the “More details” link under “Enrollment Appointment” on the lower right side of student center in SPIRE. Access begins first for seniors.

Seniors (87 credits and above)     Monday, April 3 - Tuesday, April 4
Juniors (57 – 86 credits)              Thursday, April 6 - Friday, April 7
Sophomores (27 – 56 credits)      Monday, April 10 - Tuesday, April 11

Class designations/levels are based on total number of credits earned, including those being earned in the current semester, not upon years at UMass Amherst. If you fail to register as soon as possible, you may find that you cannot get in your required courses or preferred sections.

6.  Why can’t I register?    Check your Holds status on the right hand side of your SPIRE student center.  All AnSci and Pre-Vet majors have an EN-1hold meaning you cannot register without first meeting with your academic advisor.  Your advisor should remove your advising requirement hold after you meet, but there are also holds blocking registration that are placed on your account by the academic dean’s office, health services, or the bursar’s office. You will have to contact the office responsible for the hold in order to have it removed.

7.  I can’t register for Chem 261 because it is full. What should I do?
There are two ways to get into Chem 261:
1) Wait until the grades are released and frequently check SPIRE for seats opening up when Chemistry ejects those students who have earned grades less than C- in Chem 112.
2) Attend the section of your choice during add/drop this spring and ask the instructor if you can be manually enrolled. You can try emailing the instructor now and asking very nicely if you could be manually enrolled now. Don’t forget to include your SPIRE ID # so that the instructor can simply forward your email to the administrator.

8.  Why can’t I register for some courses using SPIRE?
-You really haven’t met the prerequisites or eligibility for the course you’re trying to register for or you’ve met the prerequisites, but SPIRE doesn’t recognize it.
-You need instructor permission for the course.
-The course is restricted to RAP/TAP groups, other majors, or upper classmen.

In all of the above situations, you need to contact the instructor listed for the class with your name, SPIRE ID number, five digit class number for lecture and discussion/lab section, if applicable, and reason why you should be manually enrolled in the class. If your prerequisite class is not recognized by SPIRE, explain the reason why you can’t get into the class and/or why you need a particular section to the instructor, i.e. the materials covered in the class that is equivalent to the prerequisite class in SPIRE. If the course is restricted to other groups, explain why taking the class or that particular section is particularly important to you (e.g. class required by vet school or it won’t fit into your schedule in any other semester). You may be enrolled if there is space available after the other group has had a chance to register. This could happen as late as the beginning of the next semester. Make sure that there is space available for that class in your schedule.

Special cases:

Microbio 265: Students interested in Microbio 265 (1 credit) must apply to the Microbiology Department.  The Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences is now offering a 2 credit Microbiology Lab - ANIMLSCI 390A - Veterinary Microbiology.  Students who can not fit ANIMLSCI 390A into their schedules and are interested in applying to Veterinary Colleges that require a 2 credit lab should speak with the 390A instructor, or email Erika Hamilton for any remaining spots in Micro 312 (3 credits). 

Biochem 523/524: Students who wish to take Biochem I and II to strengthen their vet/grad school application and who have taken Animal Science 200 should email Dr. Janice Telfer, who will send a list of qualified students to Biochem to be registered.

Chem 269:  Enrollment is initially restricted to seniors, but will open to juniors and possibly sophomores; keep checking. (This course is no longer a pre-requisite for switching to the Pre-Vet major.)

Comm 260: Enrollment is restricted to COMM majors, email Prof. Stephen Gencarella. You may have to wait until the add/drop period to be enrolled.

-The course is full.

Chem 112/261/262/269; Bio 152/153: If you can’t get into the only lecture or laboratory section that fits into your schedule, check SPIRE at least once a day after the semester’s grades are released for seats opening up. Students who have previously registered will lose their seats if they earn below the minimum grade required to progress (i.e. C or C-).

There are two ways to get into Chem 261:
1) Wait until the grades are released and frequently check SPIRE for seats opening up when Chemistry ejects those students who have earned grades less than C- in Chem 112.
2) Attend the section of your choice during add/drop this spring and ask the instructor if you can be manually enrolled. You can try emailing the instructor now and asking very nicely if you could be manually enrolled now. Don’t forget to include your SPIRE ID # so that the instructor can simply forward your email to the administrator.

Math 127: Attend the first lecture and speak to the instructor in person about enrollment.

9.  What are my University General Education (Gen Ed) requirements?  Most AnSci/Pre-Vet majors who started in the Fall of 2010 or later as freshmen will have to choose classes to fulfill the following Gen Ed requirements:
-1 (4 credit) AL or AT Arts and Literature
-1 (4 credit) HS History
-1 (4 credit) SB Social & Behavioral Sciences

In order to minimize the number of Gen Ed classes taken, two of the three Gen Ed classes above should also have the U (United States) and G (Global) diversity designation, so that two Gen Ed requirements can be fulfilled with one class (e.g. ALG fulfills AL and G requirements).

-ANIMLSCI 260 Domestic Animal Care and Welfare is a 4 credit SI Gen Ed and is also a graduation requirement for AnSci and Pre-Vet students.
-ENGLWRIT 112 fulfills the College Writing (CW) requirement.
-R1, R2, BS, and PS are fulfilled by classes already required for AnSci and Pre-Vet graduation requirements.
-NATSCI 387 fulfills the Junior Writing requirement. If you want to fulfill this requirement with another class, your advisor can approve of its substitution because it is a major requirement.
-1 Integrative Experience (IE) course - ANIMLSCI 494GI or ANIMLSCI 494PI or for Honors students - ANIMLSCI 499Y+499T+AnSci 494TI.

The IE GenEd is specific to each major. You can check your requirements by looking in your Academic Requirements Report, available on the top of the menu at the center left of your SPIRE student center. The IE requirement is listed just after the Diversity “U” and “G” section of your Academic Requirements Report. If you are a freshman or sophomore, you should wait. Most seniors do not have the IE requirement. If you are graduating early and can’t fulfill the IE requirement, you will need to apply to the academic dean for a waiver. If you are a junior or a transfer student, you have three options. You only need to take one of these options to fulfill the IE requirement:

1) If you are in Commonwealth Honors College, wait until the fall of your senior year, when you are taking 499Y (first semester of your honors thesis). Sign up for both 499T (second semester of the honors thesis) and the 1 credit AnSci 494 TI. The combination of 499Y+499T+AnSci 494TI will fulfill your AnSci/Pre-Vet IE requirement; you do not need to take any other class.
If you are not in Commonwealth Honors College and you are a junior or senior who needs to fulfill the IE GenEd requirement, you can choose from two different classes. You do not need to take both. There are no other classes from other departments that will fulfill AnSci/Pre-Vet IE requirement. If you are a double major or double degree student, consult with your advisor.

2) AnSci 494GI - Good Intentions offered in the Spring semester or AnSci 494PI - Advanced Animal Health and Management offered in the Fall semester.

10.  How do you find General Education courses on SPIRE?    If you need a Gen Ed course in a particular category, go to SPIRE “Main Menu”, then “Course Guide”, then “Search for Classes” page.  Leave the “Subject” box blank, set the “Course Number” to “greater to or equal to 100” and change the “Session:” box to “*University”. Then scroll down to the “Gen Ed Category” box and choose the category you need (e.g., HS for History Gen Eds that include HS, HSU and HSG courses or HSU for only History, diversity United States courses). Make sure you consider the credits of the course you choose, since 3 credits Gen Ed course are still offered, but will not fulfill 4 credit Gen Ed requirements. There are no 1 or 2 credit Gen Ed courses.

11. What are some electives offered in the Fall of 2017?
Suggested and related electives are listed below.  Students should be sure to check SPIRE for availability and pre-requisites.

Suggested Electives Fall  2017 - check in SPIRE for specific times
ANIMLSCI 231—Dorset Sheep Management I - Tuesday 4:00PM - 6:00PM
ANIMLSCI 232—Belted Galloway Management I – Monday 4:00PM - 6:00PM
ANIMLSCI 233—Boer Goat Management I - Monday 4:00PM - 6:00PM
ANIMLSCI 234—Poultry Management I - Tuesday 4:00PM - 6:00PM
ANIMLSCI 219C- Biotechnology Research Experience - Cellular and Molecular 
ANIMLSCI 291M- Biotechnology Research Experience - Animal Models
ANIMLSCI 296T P-Intro to Teaching Animal Science
ANIMLSCI 297DC– Dairy Calf Management I
ANIMLSCI 365 – Fundamentals in Veterinary and Biomedical Laboratory Techniques –
                         (required course for Biotech subplan)
                         Lecture MoWeFr 9:05AM – 9:55AM, Lab Mo 1:25PM - 3:45PM
ANIMLSCI 391C - Biotechnology Research Experience - Cellular and Molecular
ANIMLSCI 391M - Biotechnology Research Experience - Animal Models
ANIMLSCI 396T P- Intermediate Teaching in Animal Science
ANIMLSCI 398D - Service Dog Training
ANIMLSCI 455 - Research Animal Management I – (required course for Biotech subplan)
                        Lec - MoWeFr 10:10AM - 11:00AM
                        Lab L Tu 8:30AM - 11:15AM
                        Lab M Th 8:30AM - 11:15AM
ANIMLSCI 491C - Biotechnology Research Experience - Cellular and Molecular
ANIMLSCI 491M - Biotechnology Research Experience - Animal Models
ANIMLSCI 496T - Advanced Teaching in Animal Science
ANIMLSCI 497A ST – Equine Diseases and Health Management TuTh 8:30-9:45AM
ANIMLSCI 581 – Cancer Biology – formerly ANIMLSCI 672, TuTh 1:00-2:15PM
ANIMLSCI 697G – Cancer & Chemoprevention - held at Bay State Medical Center,
                            Fridays 4:00PM - 5:00PM
ANTHRO 317 - Primate Behavior MoWe 4:00PM - 5:15PM, students will need instructor consent
BIOCHEM 421 - Elementary Biochem
                       Lec 1 Tu & Thu 8:30AM - 9:20AM & Lab 1 Tu 9:30AM - 12:45PM,
                       Lec 2 Th 9:30AM - 12:45PM & Lab 2 Thu 9:30AM - 12:45PM
BIOLOGY 273 – Marine Vertebrates, TuTh 8:30AM - 9:45AM
BIOLOGY 280 – Evolution – Diversity of Life through Time, MoWeFr 12:20PM - 1:10PM
BIOLOGY 287 – Introduction to Ecology, TuTh 1:00PM - 2:15PM
BIOLOGY 521 – Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy, Lec TuTh 2:30PM - 3:45PM,
                         Lab L Mo 1:25PM - 4:25PM, Lab M We 1:25PM - 4:25PM
BIOLOGY 542 – Ichthyology, Lec MoWeFr 10:10AM - 11:00AM,
                         Lab L We 1:25PM - 4:25PM, Lab M Th 1:00PM - 4:05PM
BIOLOGY 550 – Animal Behavior  Lec TuTh 10:00AM-11:15 AM,
                         Lab LL Tu 1:00-4:00 pm, Lab LM, We 1:25-4:25 pm
BIOLOGY 551 – Animal Communication, TuTh 11:30AM-12:45PM,
                         prereq BIOLOGY 280 or instructor permission
BIOLOGY 580 – Developmental Biology, TuTh 11:30AM - 12:45PM
BIOLOGY 582 - DNA to Diversity TuTh 2:30PM-3:45PM
                        prereq BIOLOGY 280 or instructor permission
BIOLOGY 597GE - ST-Evolutionary Genetics, TuTh 10:00Am-11:15AM,
                        prereq BIOLOGY 280 or instructor permission
COMM 250 Interpersonal Communication Lec 1 MoWeFr 1:25PM - 2:15PM
                        Lec 2 MoWeFr 11:15AM - 12:05PM
COMM 260 Public Speaking - prerequisite for some vet schools (instructor permission during add/drop required)
                        Lec 1 MoWeFr 10:10AM - 11:00AM
                        Lec 2 MoWeFr 11:15AM - 12:05PM
                        Lec 3 MoWeFr 11:15AM - 12:05PM
ECON 103 Introduction to Microeconomics Gen Ed SB, good introduction to business,
                        7 lecture sections with discussion sections
EDUC 497I ST-Tutoring in Schools - students interested in teaching, Tu 4:00PM-6:30PM
FOODSCI 265 – Survey of Food Science, TuTh 2:30AM - 3:45PM
FOODSCI 270 – Biology of Food in Human Health, TuTh 8:30AM - 9:45AM
HUMDEV 270 - Child Development – students interested in teaching,
                        Lec 1 TuTh 10:00AM - 11:15AM
                        Lec 2 TuTh 11:30AM - 12:45PM
                        Lec 3 TuTh 2:30PM - 3:45PM
                        Lec 4 TuTh 1:00PM - 2:15PM
MICROBIO 570 – Animal Virology, Fr 1:25PM - 4:10PM pre-req - MICROBIO 310 coursework completed with a grade of B- or better.
NRC 260 - Fish Conservation & Management, TuTh 10:00AM - 11:15AM
NRC 297F – ST – Fish Sampling and Identification, Lab 1 Tu 1:00PM - 5:15PM, Lab 2 We 1:25PM - 5:15PM
NRC 564 – Wildlife Habitat Management – students will need instructor consent,
                       Lec TuTh 1:00PM - 2:15PM, Lab LL Tu 2:30PM - 5:15PM, Lab LM Th 2:30PM - 5:15PM
NRC 565 – Wildlife Population Dynamics and Management - students will need instructor consent,
                       Lec MoWeFr 10:10AM - 11:00AM, Lab LL Mo 1:25PM - 3:20PM
NRC 597WCST – Wildlife Corridors/conservation, Tu 4:00PM - 5:30PM
RESECON 102 - Intro Resource Econ/ ECON 103 Introduction to Microeconomics (both Gen Ed SB, good introduction to business), TuTh 10:00AM - 11:15AM
PSYCH 350 - Developmental Psychology - students interested in teaching,  MoWe 2:30PM - 3:45PM, online, Prerequisite:  PSYCH 100 or 110
STOCKSCH 211 - Pasture Management - This course meets at Hadley Farm: 111 North Maple Street, Hadley,
                       Lecture - MoFr 2:30PM - 3:20PM. Lab - We 2:30PM - 4:15PM
STOCKSCH 350 - Sustainable Soil & Crop Management Lecture - MoWeFr 9:05AM - 9:55AM,
                       Lab We 10:10AM - 11:00AM, Pre Requisite: STOCKSCH 105
Practica courses are also suggested.

12.  Can I change my schedule, even after the semester starts?    Once the registration period begins, you can change your schedule any time, from any computer with internet access, until access ends about two weeks after the beginning of the semester. Attend the lectures and keep up with the material and any assignments or quizzes during this period. If you are unable to make a desired change because a course is full, keep trying. Students are adding and dropping continually, so spaces can open up briefly at any time. Persistence often pays off.  Always add before you drop. Or better yet, use the “swap” function to replace one class with another or the “edit” function to change labs while remaining in the same lecture. The moment you drop a course, someone else can take your spot; thus, make sure you’re in the course you want before you drop anything. If you drop the lab section of a course with a lab component, you’ll automatically be dropped from the lecture, too. If the course is full, you may be unable to get back in.

13.  How do I sign up for Biotechnology Research Experience?    Independent study projects are a great opportunity to learn scientific reasoning and techniques and to work closely with a faculty sponsor. During your freshman or sophomore years, you should start thinking about what type of research you would like to start doing as a junior since most faculty members will not take students starting independent study projects as seniors. You can discuss this with your advisor and look at faculty research interests on the VASCI and UMass websites. During the semester before that in which you want to start, email faculty members to ask if they have space available for an undergraduate and to arrange a meeting to discuss how you might fit into their research projects. To register for ANIMLSCI 291C, 291M, 391C, 391M, 491C, 491M, access or obtain a Biotechnology Research Experience Contract form, avaiable on the VASCI website or outside ISB 427Z.  The sponsoring faculty and the student decide the course number that is appropriate, as well as composing a project title and description of project goals and expectations. One credit is equivalent to three hours of work per week x 13 weeks per semester so a student signing up for three credits should be working on the independent study nine hours per week (in lab or barn and reading) for the entire semester. An abstract or poster/oral presentation detailing the results of the research project is required by Science Day in April of the year in which the student is registered for the independent study project. The student makes two copies of the independent study project contract, gives one to the faculty sponsor and submits the original to Mary Schneider in ISB 427Z or Lisa West in ISB 427X before the end of add/drop.

14.  Can I add a class after the registration period is over?    Once the registration period ends, it’s no longer possible to change your schedule using SPIRE. You can still add courses, but you must use a “late add” form, which must be signed by the course instructor and by your academic dean (located in the Undergraduate Deans Office, 220 Morrill, 545-1969).

15.  Can I add a course if I’ve reached my credit limit of 19 credits?    If you want to take more than 19 credits per semester, you will need to submit a credit overload petition, which you can access at

It can take up to five working days to process, so it is in your interest to start the process well before the beginning of the semester. Applications are evaluated based on the total number of credits requested and the GPA of the applicant.

16.  How can I withdraw from a course after the registration period is over?    You can withdraw from a course through the mid-semester “W” date, which is noted on the academic calendar for each semester. A “W” will show up on your transcript indicating that you were enrolled in the course after the add/drop period. You have to fill out the course change request form, have it signed by your instructor, and bring it to the Registrar’s Office by the mid-semester date.  The form does not require a dean’s signature. Just be sure you remain a full time student with at least 12 credits, so that your financial aid and housing are not affected.

17.  I am not doing well in a class. Can I withdraw from it after the mid-semester “W” date?    You can withdraw from a class by the “W” date for academic reasons, but withdrawal from a course after the mid-semester date is possible only with verifiable and extenuating circumstances (e.g. extended illness, family emergency, work schedule change). You should discuss your situation with your academic advisor. If you decide to petition for a late withdrawal use the Late Withdrawal Petition form. Your petition will be reviewed by the CNS Advising Committee and you will be notified of the decision.

Another option if you encounter a crisis that keeps you from taking an exam or handing in an assignment at the end of a course is to ask the professor if you can take an Incomplete (INC). Be prepared to present documentation to the professor to verify your statements. An INC on your transcript will be counted as an F in your GPA. The work necessary to change an INC to a grade must be completed by the end of the next semester; otherwise, an INC will automatically convert to an F.

Students can withdraw from a course until the mid-semester date and have a “W” show up on their transcript. The W will stay on the transcript even if the student repeats the course. However, a bad grade, even if it is replaced in the UMass GPA by a better grade from a course repeat, also stays on the transcript. Tufts/Cummings Veterinary College uses both grades when they recalculate student GPAs. Thus, withdrawing from a course because the student is overloaded with credits that semester can be a better option than taking a bad grade. It is a better strategy to focus on getting good grades in the major required courses and withdraw from GenEd or elective courses. If the student is planning to apply to veterinary or graduate school, they do not want to give the impression that they can’t handle multiple challenging science courses (e.g. taking a W in Organic Chemistry and retaking it in the summer). Students can obtain the course change form from outside 427Z ISB, the Registrar’s office, or at the CNS Advising Center 220 Morrill II, have their instructor sign it, and return it to the Registrar by the midsemester date. Students wishing to withdraw after the mid-semester date must petition the CNS Advising Committee using the Late Withdrawal Petition Form. Instructors don’t have the power to grant late withdrawals.

18.  How does the pass/fail option work?    The pass/fail option is designed to let you take challenging courses without worrying about their impact on your GPA. However, you can’t take a course required for your major or a general education course pass/fail. Only one elective course per semester can be taken pass/fail—if two or more pass/fail options are taken in one semester, SPIRE will convert one of them back to a letter grade basis without informing you. You must choose the pass/fail option by the mid-semester “W” date. The professor will still assign you a grade. If you get a good grade in the course that will improve your GPA; the grade will appear on your transcript. If the grade does not increase your GPA, it will not be used in computing your GPA and a P or F will appear on your transcript.

19.  How do I change my major? 
If you would like to:
1.  Change from Animal Science to Pre-Vet - complete the PreVet GPA form and bring it to Lisa West, ISB 427X. 
2.  Change from Pre-Vet to Animal Science - see jbalise [at] vasci [dot] umass [dot] edu (John Balise), ISB 427U.
3.  Change from Animal Science to another major/department
      -Contact the department and make an appointment to meet with an advisor
4.  Change from another major/department into Animal Science
     -Make an appointment with jbalise [at] vasci [dot] umass [dot] edu (John Balise), ISB 427U

20.  What happens if my GPA goes below a 2.0?    To be in academic good standing you must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. If you go below a 2.0 you will be placed on academic probation and will need to see the Academic Dean in 220 Morrill II Science Center and your academic advisor to develop a strategy to improve your academic performance. If in any subsequent semester, your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, you will be suspended for a semester but then allowed to return to the University. If your GPA is below a 2.0 for a third semester, you will be dismissed from the university.

21.  What do I need to graduate from UMass?    You must earn 120 credits; complete your general education, college and major requirements, and earn a 2.0 GPA in your major and a 2.0 GPA overall. You can track these requirements in your Academic Requirements Report (left side of SPIRE student center). Click “Expand all” at the top to see all of the details.

22.  Can I take a course at another school and have it count towards my graduation requirements?    Yes, but you must first complete a Prior Approval for Transfer Work or Prior Approval for Senior Year in Absentia form. If you wish the course you are taking to fulfill a university requirement or a major requirement taught by another department, you should submit the form to the Registrar’s Office in Whitmore. In many cases, the course will have been previously approved as the equivalent of a UMass Amherst course. If it has not been previously approved, you will have to submit documentation such as a course description or syllabus to your advisor.  In some cases, the course will not be considered to be the equivalent of a UMass Amherst course, but the credits will transfer in as a generic transfer course. If your advisor approves, generic transfer courses can be directed to substitute for a major requirement, either before or after they are transferred to UMass Amherst. You must earn a “C-” or above for a course to be transferred – remember your grade will not be factored into your GPA nor will a transferred course grade replace a grade of C- or below in a UMass Amherst course.

23.  Should I repeat a course?    If you are planning to apply to veterinary medical college and you have a grade of C or C+ in a freshman or sophomore class, unless the vet school to which you plan to apply has a requirement for a minimum grade in all prerequisite classes, it is better to focus on getting high grades in upper level classes rather than retaking earlier classes.

You can repeat a course to replace a grade of C- or below once.  However, if you wish to retake it another time, even if the grade is a C- or below, you must request permission from the academic dean. It is now likely that permission to take a course a third time will be denied. If you have failed a course required for graduation or can’t progress in a Biology or Chemistry series because you don’t have the minimum grade required, then you should consider changing your major.

24.  Where do I go for help in writing my resume or getting ready for an interview?
Nessim Watson specializes in working with CNS majors at UMass Career Services. His office is in 512 Goodell; 545-2224.  smarston [at] vasci [dot] umass [dot] edu (Dr. Susan Marston), VASCI Career Advisor is also available to assist you. Her office is ISB 427Y. You can also access and search resume or interviews.

25.  How can I appeal a suspension or a dismissal?    If you have been suspended or dismissed from the university, you may appeal your case to the Committee on Admissions and Records. Appeals are accepted in writing only and must go through a CNS Academic Dean first. Download this pdf for more information.

26.  Can my advisor talk with my parents or others about my academic record?   Federal privacy laws only allow advisors to speak to the individual student about that student’s academic records. If you would like your parents (or other individuals you designate) to have access to your academic record, then you must complete the academic information release form. The signed academic information release form must be on file with your advisor before your advisor can speak to anyone other than the student about academic information.

27.  How do I study abroad?  National Student Exchange for UMass Students – The on-campus UMass-Amherst Domestic Exchange is part of the National Student Exchange of about 160 colleges across the United States.  With the assistance of your academic advisor, courses can be selected to meet Veterinary & Animal Sciences and University requirements so that you graduate with your class.  You may also find courses not offered in UMass-Amherst that would enhance your educational experience.  Students normally select an exchange for their junior year.  Applicants must be in good standing (GPA of 2.5) and make application for an exchange through the UMass-Amherst Domestic Exchange Office, 614 Goodell (413-545-5351) in the year prior to the exchange.  Exchanges can be for one or two semesters at the same or different schools.  The National Student Exchange web site is  Prior approval is required for students wishing to take credits at another institution and transfer them to UMass to meet degree requirements. The Prior Approval for Transfer Course Work Form is found at

International Student Exchange for UMass students – International exchange programs through UMass-Amherst can be arranged throughout the world.  Exchanges involve over 80 college programs in 25 countries.  International exchanges most often occur in the junior year.  A grade point average of 3.0 and foreign language proficiency (in non-English speaking countries) is desired.  Most courses taken (but not the grades) are transferable to our program and count towards residency credit requirements.  Apply at the W.S. Clark International Center, Hills South, 4th floor (413-545-2710) and see  Prior approval is required for students wishing to take credits at another institution and transfer them to UMass to meet degree requirements. The Prior Approval for Transfer Course Work Form is found at