Undergraduate Forms

There are three main sections to this page: Helpful Worksheets & Information, Paper Forms, and Web Forms. Course requirement checklists for Animal Science and Pre-Veterinary majors as well as information for applying to veterinary school can be found in the Helpful Worksheets & Information section below. Academic forms that need to be printed on paper and signed are listed under Paper Forms.

University of Massachusetts Amherst Academic Calendar 2017-2018

Biotechnology Research Experience Contract

Please complete this electronic contract with a faculty sponsor and send the completed contract to mschneider [at] vasci [dot] umass [dot] edu (Mary Schneider) to be enrolled. If you prefer, this contract can be completed and emailed to your faculty sponsor to be emailed to mschneider [at] vasci [dot] umass [dot] edu (Mary Schneider) or a printed paper contract can be brought to ISB 427Z for enrollment.

ANIMLSCI 291C - Biotech Research -Cell & Molec I         1 credit
ANIMLSCI 291M - Biotech Research-Animal Models I      1 credit
ANIMLSCI 391C - Biotech Research-Cell & Molec II         2 credits
ANIMLSCI 391M - Biotech Research-Animal Models II     2 credits
ANIMLSCI 491C - Biotech Research-Cell & Molec III        3 credits
ANIMLSCI 491M - Biotech Research-Animal Models III    3 credits

Helpful Worksheets & Information

Paper Forms

biotech_research_experience_con.doc41.5 KB

Petition to Substitute a course for a Major Requirement

If you would like to substitute an upper level (400 level or higher) for a required course, please complete and submit this form. Your petition request will be reviewed and voted upon by the department Curriculum Committee.  Please include your email address on the Petition to Substitute a Required Course form.  Curriculum Committee decisions will be sent to the student at the email address provided on the Petition to Substitute a Required Course form.

PETITION to substitute an upper-level science elective for Animal Science 101

If you would like to substitute a upper-level science elective (i.e. class number greater than or equal to 300) course for Animal Science 101, please complete the form and return the completed form to ISB 427X.  This form will be reviewed by a member of the VASCI Curriculum Committee.

Contract for Independent Study

Most independent research will now be registered through a Biotechnology Research Class, please see the course descriptions above and use the Biotechnology Research Contract.

ANIMLSCI 496 or ANIMLSCI 596 courses may be taken under the direct supervision of a UMass faculty sponsor and may be used for literature or data review and analysis or other projects of that do not fit in the ’91 Biotechnology Research course structure. A letter grade and course title “Independent study” is listed on the student’s transcript. ANIMLSCI 596 is a graduate-level course; generally this level is used by upper level undergraduates but can be used by beginning graduate students. Products to be generated in the 496 and 596 courses are determined by the sponsoring faculty and agreed to by the student. Examples of appropriate independent study outputs include: papers, posters, oral reports or a portfolio of work. A 1 credit independent study course averages 3 hours of work per week over 15 weeks of the fall or spring semester, or 45 hours total per semester. Credits may vary from 1 to 6, or 3 (1 credit) to 18 (6 credits) hours of work per week. Completed contract should be emailed to mschneider [at] vasci [dot] umass [dot] edu (Mary Schneider) or printed out and returned to 427Z ISB to be enrolled.

Contract for Practicum

Department Practicum (298/398/498) – Students must complete a contract with a faculty sponsor.  Practica usually take place off-campus under the sponsorship of a faculty member for credit. Normally, a 3 credit practicum would consist of working about nine hours per week for the entire Spring or Fall semester (14 weeks). Departmental practica are limited to 3 credits per semester and are graded on a pass/fail basis.

Summer Practicum (298) – Normally awarded 4 pass/fail credits. Maximum of 15 credits allowed. Summer practicums must be registered for through the continuing education office. Normally, a summer practicum of 4 credits consists of working 8-10 weeks, 40 hours/week.  The student submits a written report to the faculty sponsor. Normally, most faculty sponsors require that a journal of activities be kept and that the final report integrates both the work and learning experiences into an overall evaluation.


VASCI, CNS and UMASS Scholarship Information

The Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences is pleased to offer ten scholarships. These scholarships are intended to recognize the dedication, diligence and academic success of our students, as well as assist them with the expense of their education.  These scholarships are generously funded by VASCI alumni and members of the VASCI community.

The Veterinary and Animal Sciences Department Scholarships Applications are due at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 27, 2017. Please bring completed applications to 427Z Integrated Sciences Building. Make sure the application is complete with the typewritten letter attached and placed in a sealed envelope. Decisions will be mailed to students in the early fall.

Read more »